This recipe was originally posted on acouplecooks.com
Roasted Nourish Bowl with Lemon Tahini Dressing
For easy prep, cook the grain, make the dressing, and chop the veggies in advance; the day of, roast the veggies and put together the salad.
What You Need
- 1½ pounds sweet potatoes (2 medium)
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 to 1 ½ cups black rice or quinoa, uncooked
- 15-ounce can chickpeas (1½ cups cooked)
- 1 beet
- ¼ head red cabbage (we used a combination of savoy and red)
- 12 cups salad greens
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds or pepitas
- Lemon Tahini Dressing (below)
What To Do
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Dice the sweet potatoes; place them in a bowl and mix with 1½ tablespoons olive oil and ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour the sweet potatoes onto half of the sheet. Cut the cauliflower into florets; place them in the same bowl and mix with 1½ tablespoons olive oil and ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Pour them onto the other half of the baking sheet. Add fresh ground pepper and roast until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rice or quinoa according to the package instructions.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas; mix them with a drizzle of olive oil and a few pinches kosher salt.
- Peel and thinly slice the beet. Thinly slice the red cabbage.
- Make the dressing (below).
- To serve, place the salad greens in a bowl. Arrange small piles of each component. Drizzle with dressing and top with sunflower seeds or peptias.
Lemon Tahini Dressing
The dressing quantity makes much more than needed for 4 salads; save the remaining dressing for later use (you’ll want more!). Resist the urge to substitute bottled lemon juice for fresh lemons; fresh lemons are integral to the taste. Tahini is a Mediterranean sesame seed paste; invest in a jar and you’ll have it in your refrigerator for months to whip up delicious dressings and sauces.
Serves: 1 cup
What You Need
- ½ cup tahini
- 2 large lemons (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
What To Do
- In a canning jar or small bowl, combine ½ cup tahini, the juice of 2 large lemons (1/2 cup), ¼ cup water, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Cover and vigorously shake the canning jar, or whisk together the ingredients in a bowl.
- Reserve extra dressing for later use; it saves for about 1 month in the refrigerator. Bring the dressing to room temperature before serving (it becomes thick when chilled).